The Ohio State University College of Dentistry's Postle Hall
Project: The Ohio State University College of Dentistry's Postle Hall, Columbus, Ohio
Architect of Record: Design Group, Columbus, Ohio
Design Architect: Robert A. Stern Architects (RAMSA), New York, New York
Construction Manager: Gilbane Building Group, Columbus, Ohio
Subcontractor: Valley Interior Systems
Originally built in 1950 and last updated in 1972, Postle Hall received a $95 million makeover in 2020. Postle Hall houses the state’s only and the country’s fourth largest college of dentistry. To complete this renovation, the four-story eastern portion of the building was demolished, and 150,000 square feet of new space replaced it. New features of this space include pre-clinical simulation and technology labs, eight small-group student practice clinics, four ambulatory surgery units, an expanded radiology center and three new classrooms. The courtyard was also remodeled, creating additional civic space for the students.
Postle Hall includes a dental clinic that treats some 460 patients each day. To overhaul this dental hub, at 305 W. 12th Ave., on the corner with Neil Avenue, OSU received $26 million in state funds with the remainder subsidized by the university through alumni and corporate partnerships. The OSU school of dentistry awards degrees in dental hygiene, a Doctor of Dental Surgeries (DDS) and dental specialties, like orthodontics.
Image Credit: The Ohio State University
The architects specified superior building products to help renovate OSU’s Postle Hall, including these National Gypsum products: